Wednesday 7 August 2019

Polite Society by Mahesh Rao



Stars: ★★★
More info
Pre-order here
Book will be published on August, 20th, 2019




General info

A story about the lives of rich people in India. It is said to be a rerepresentation of Jane Austen's Emma. I have not yet finished Emma so I cannot confirm a hundread proecent. The story of Ania who tries to fiddle in the lovelives of everybody else and forgets her own. A story of love, despair and how money does not always make life easier or happier. You could almost say money does the opposite. 

Things I liked

I enjoyed that throughout the whole story, there is Ania, who playes a part in all the other characters' lives. And I liked that I got to follow the lives of so many interesting people. I also feel that it really portrays lives of reach people in a realistic way. There is events that could happen in reality and there are problems that people could actually face. I also think, and this may make me a horrible person, that it is very refreshing that not all the characters live happily ever after.

Things I did not like so much

To me, the story was interesting but it was still a bit boring. I also sometimes had a hard time following the plot. For me, although the book gets more interesting toward the end, the ending on its own is just plain weird and very sudden. There are things to be said in my opinion and not all characters get their ending. They simply just exists. 

Conclusion

All in all, it is a book that left me feeling conflicted. I both like it and dislike it if that is even possible. I guess I will have to finish Emma now to see if they really are similar. I would say you have to read the book to really know if it's worth reading.

* ARC received through the publisher via First to Read Scheme 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Light, Camera, Murder by Nikki Haverstock

Lights, Camera, Murder by Nikki Haverstock My rating: 4 of 5 stars General info Aspiring other Melissa gets asked to take part in a reali...